Home Investigations Research Material Paranormal Equipment Membership

Contact Us

Email- membership@forgottenparanormal.co.uk

If you require help or advise about suspected haunting's please use the contact details below and we will gladly help where we can. We DO NOT charge for any advice or help that we provide and all information is kept confidential  about you and the issues you have. For more information please email or call.

Email: Tim.watson@forgottenparanormal.co.uk

Mobile: 07818552830

©The Forgotten Paranormal Society - All rights received 2015

Location: Tatton Old Hall

Address: Tatton Park,



 WA16 6QN

Aprox. year Built: 1500

Tatton Old Hall

The History - The hall stands on a site near the village of Tatton, which has since disappeared. It was built as a manor house around the start of the 15th century by either the Stanley family or Sir Richard Brereton. By 1585 a two-storey wing had been added at a right angle to the original house by Sir Thomas Egerton, Lord Chancellor of England. In the 1770s a new hall was built on the site of the present Tatton Hall and the old hall was used as a farmhouse and then a century later converted into three estate cottages. It remained in the possession of the Egerton family until 1958 when it was given to the National Trust.

The Cruck Barn at Tatton Old Hall started life at the beginning of the 17th century as a Cheshire farm near Frodsham. The barn is a fine example of a style once common in the Midlands and North, and is constructed from a series of paired timbers called crucks, each of which forms a shape like the letter A. In some parts of the country cruck trusses from the 14th century can still be found but those within Cheshire tend to date from the 15th and 16th centuries. The timbers are generally rougher and less finished than the higher standard of craftsmanship found in the earlier period but the Old Hall’s cruck barn still retains a rustic symmetry and grace.

Dilapidated and crumbling and expensive to restore, the barn at Frodsham was roofed with rusting corrugated iron. Several of its crucks had slipped off their plinths making total collapse imminent. In 1976 the plight of the barn was brought to the attention of Cheshire County Council’s Planning Department, who asked the farm owner if it could be taken down, brought to Tatton and restored. Since old maps showed that a barn had once existed at the Old Hall, the opportunity was taken to accept this generous offer of a valuable example of Cheshire’s vernacular architecture.

Undeterred by its condition, a team of one joiner and a small number of unskilled young people working under a job creation scheme carefully dismantled the barn. Much of the timber recovered was re-used and working from a prepared set of drawings it was reconstructed and restored on its current site. Its rebuilding provided many skills for young people who now, later in life, sometimes re-visit their handiwork and proudly say ‘I did that’.

The barn’s four sets of crucks are equally spaced along its 70 feet length and together with its timber- framed walls stand on a sandstone plinth. The plinth continues across doorways to form a 'thresh hold', literally to hold threshed corn within the building. Originally the in-fills of the frames would have been wattle and daub but at some point were replaced with brickwork, as bricks became cheaper and more readily available. This material would have made the building more weather and animal proof and easier to maintain. The roof is thatched with reed whose butt ends jut out and form the eaves drop, which casts rainwater away from the building.

The Spirits -

The spirits said to b around the Hall go from some nasty male spirit that likes to prod and poke the ladies to small children that like to play. The main hall is like walking through time with the medieval great hall, the 18th centaury bedrooms to the 1940’s kitchen and 1960’s lounge. It is said that an old drunk games keeper is present in the kitchen and parlour area, he has a real dislike to females. Three children run around the rooms upstairs with a chubby happy spirit in the master bedroom.

The Great hall has many visiting spirits. Then there is the Barn!!!!!

It is said that one of the beams in the barn was used to hang witches in the 17th centaury, it is said that one witch haunts the bean and the barn. There is also reported to be a number of other spirits that reside in the barn. The Spirits are not just in the Hall and Barn, they are all around the grounds of the old hall. Well worth a visit to see what you can find.

Investigation Report

The Tatton Old Hall  proved to be one of the most active but quite place we have visited. There is no doubt that there are multiple spirits on the grounds. On our walk round the gardens we had massive K2 spikes that would go as quickly as they came. We did multiple checks in the areas we got the spikes with no results.

In the bedrooms up stairs we had interaction from a small boy spirit who when asked pulled the same finger on the same hand of 6 out of 20 guests. K2 spikes at the same time gave more evidence that something was with us. We also had knocks and cold breezes in the rest of the Hall. The Barn however was very quite on the walk round with nothing happening. The investigation went on with some K2 spikes in the red in answer to questions in Kitchen area from what we believe was a maid. The night rally hit off when we got into the barn, we had multiple orbs and light anomalies being seen with the naked eye and court on camera. We used the SP-7 spirit box and had lots of colourful language, hot and cold areas (the door was closed but as it is a barn we are not sure if these were natural or paranormal). Our night ended with intelligent responses to questions on the K2.  We had a great night and this is one location we really want to investigate more.

Videos taken in the Barn at Tatton Old Hall